According to a bulletin released by the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts at 04/13/2016 12:03 PM CDT there will be a Sales Tax Holiday on Emergency Preparation Supplies held from Friday, April 23 through Sunday, April 25, 2016.
With the potential for severe weather approaching this spring, Texas Comptroller Glenn Hegar reminds Texans they can purchase certain supplies tax-free during the Emergency Preparation Supplies Sales Tax Holiday, April 23-25.
“The severe weather, fire and flooding we had last year provided a stark reminder that Texans should be prepared for any emergency,” Hegar said. “This tax holiday allows people to save money while ensuring they have the supplies they need if disaster strikes.”
There’s no limit on the number of qualifying items you can purchase. These include:
- batteries, fuel containers, and flashlights priced at less than $75;
- hurricane shutters and emergency ladders priced at less than $300; and
- portable generators priced at less than $3,000.
Purchases that do not qualify include:
- batteries for automobiles, boats and other motorized vehicles;
- camping stoves and camping supplies; and
A list of emergency preparation supplies that may be purchased tax-free can be found on the Comptroller’s website.
The Comptroller’s office estimates shoppers will save $1.4 million in state and local sales taxes during the tax holiday. The sales tax holiday was approved by lawmakers during the 2015 Texas Legislature.